Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mermaid Images

The very first drawing I have made regarding mermaids, back when I was in high school. TITLE: Mirror Image

TITLE: Underwater life

This was a picture I have colored from a coloring book using color pencils.

TITLE: Lazy Afternoon. This is among my favorite drawings.
Above are some sample drawings and colored projects I have made on the subject of mermaids. As a kid, I have always been fascinated with mermaids. Hans Christian Andersen's story were among the first tales to evoke my idea on the existence of tragedy and love. Their images bring me back to my childhood days, and at the same time, give me a sense of sadness, as if they stir within me emotions that I cannot explain.

Whenever I create such drawings, I try to think, what do mermaids do beside swimming and exploring the deep beyond? I would imagine them as creatures with so much freedom, and still with so much sadness and unsung dreams. Perhaps if I come across a real one, I'd be able to find the answer to my question. 

I have tried using a digital camera to upload these drawings, but the effect was that it seems to create a hazy feel in all the photos. I have learned the hard way why it is better to scan these things. Anyway, I hope you enjoy them. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment